Welcome to the PilotEdge I-Ratings! This series of 11 IFR flights can help you become familiar with a wide range of practical techniques and concepts that are important for IFR flight. Each scenario contains helpful resources to help you become comfortable with the concepts that are being presented.
If you’d like to take part, review the Taking the CAT/I Tests guide and the I Ratings Practical Test Standards. After that you are ready to get started with the list below. The program is voluntary, but if you do elect to take part then the flights need to be completed in order.
Note: This series takes place entirely within the ZLA coverage area.
- I-01: First Approach
IFR flight to/from KSNA for the ILS RWY 20R approach
- I-02: Short IFR Flight (KSNA-KCRQ)
Short hop from KSNA to KCRQ for the ILS RWY 24 approach
- I-03: First TEC Route (KSNA-KBUR)
Introduction to TEC routes, KSNA to KBUR for the ILS RWY 8 approach
- I-04: TEC Route – Dealer’s Choice (KSNA to ???)
ATC picks the destination, you find, file and fly the correct route
- I-05: SID & STAR (KBUR-KLAS)
Intro to SIDs/STARs, Burbank to Vegas
- I-06: Full Approach: Precision (KLAX-KSNA)
SLI SID from LAX, full ILS RWY 20R approach at KSNA
- I-07: Full Approach: Non-precision, Non-towered (KSNA-KAVX)
KSNA to KAVX for the full VOR/DME-B approach. Introduction to non-towered IFR operations
- I-08: Vectored Non-Precision Approach (KAVX-KSAN)
Non-towered IFR departure, vectors for the LOC RWY 27 approach at KSAN
- I-09: Profile SID/STAR (retired for now)
KLAS to KLAX via BOACH or MCCRN SID and the RIIVR STAR into LAX
- I-10: Back Course, Missed and Diversion. Oh My! (KSBA-KSMX-KSBP)
SID from SBA, LOC/DME BC-A into KSMX, missed approach, hold, divert to KSBP for the VOR-A from MQO
- I-11: Meeting Your Arc Enemy (KAJO-KVCV)
Non-towered departure using Obstacle Departure Procedure, hold at PDZ, VOR/DME RWY 17 at KVCV, missed, then cancel IFR and land under VFR
All done? Check out Sky High Charters for more graded flights, or the Alphabet Challenges for a self-paced tour of the PilotEdge world!