CAT Ratings Practical Test Standards
Pilot’s taking the CAT tests must meet the following criteria in order to pass the rating.
1. Pilots shall comply with the operating rules for all classes of airspace at all times.
a. Pilots shall obtain a clearance prior to entering class B airspace.
b. Pilots shall establish two way radio communications prior to entering Class C or D airspace.
2. Pilots shall operate their transponder in Class B airspace, Class C airspace, and any other airspace where it’s operation is required.
3. Pilots shall use AIM and P/CG recommended phraseology when communicating with ATC.
4. Pilots shall communicate in an efficient manner.
a. Pilots shall strive to make their radio calls using the fewest words possible and avoid extra words which serve no purpose or are redundant.
b. Pilots shall readback all runway assignments and hold short instructions verbatim.
c. Pilots shall include their callsign in all communications with ATC.
d. Pilots shall acknowledge all ATC communications in a timely manner.
e. Pilots shall comply with all ATC requested reports and not make extra unnecessary reports.
5. Pilots will be able to navigate using pilotage, radio navigation, and GPS along specified tracks and to specific locations without reliance on ATC.
6. When assigned a specific track pilots shall navigate along that track within 2 NM.
7. When assigned a specific altitude (or when operating in the traffic pattern) pilots shall hold that altitude within 200 feet.
8. When assigned a specific heading pilots shall hold that heading with 20 degrees.
9. Pilots shall comply with all ATC instructions.
10. Pilots shall comply with all FAR 91 regulations regarding the operation of aircraft.
11. Pilots shall not operate on a movement area without a clearance.
12. Pilots operating in the traffic pattern shall operating their aircraft in compliance with AIM recommendations.
a. Pilots will comply with the published airport pattern direction or ATC assigned pattern direction.
b. Pilots shall fly their downwind leg at an appropriate distance from the runway (approximately ½ to 1 mile).
c. Pilots shall fly a rectangular pattern and make appropriate wind corrections.
13. Pilots may not pause their sim while airborne during a rating without have permission to do so from ATC.